- 185ml egg whites (about 5 eggs)
- 1½ cups (330g) white (granulated) sugar
- pinch cream tartar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
choose your own toppings
- 50g dark chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature
- ⅓ cup (45g) slivered or chopped pistachios
- 2 tablespoons crushed freeze-dried raspberries
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F).
- Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the egg whites and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Using a handheld mixer, whisk on low speed for 5 minutes or until sugar has dissolved+.
- Remove from the heat. Add cream of tartar and vanilla and beat for 8–10 minutes or until light and glossy.
- Spoon the meringue mixture onto prepared trays and shape as desired. Swirl or sprinkle your favourite topping on top of the meringues.
- Reduce temperature to 100°C (200°F) and bake 2 hours or until meringues are dry to touch. Allow to cool completely in the closed oven. Makes 6
+ To make sure the sugar has dissolved, rub a little of the egg white mixture between your fingertips to ensure there is no graininess.
Photography: William Meppem
There are no comments for this entry yet.