asian beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1.4kg beef short ribs
- 60g ginger, peeled and sliced
- 8 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 long red chilli, sliced in half lengthways
- 8 strips orange peel (about 1 orange)
- 2 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 3 cups (750ml) good-quality beef stock
- 1½ cups (375ml) Shaoxing (Chinese cooking wine)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- ½ cup (120g) firmly packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F)+.
- Heat a large ovenproof heavy-based saucepan with a lid over medium–high heat. Add the oil and short ribs and cook for 4–5 minutes on all sides or until well browned. Turn the beef, so the meat is lying against the pan and the bone is to the side.
- Add the ginger, garlic, chilli, orange peel, star anise, cinnamon, stock, Shaoxing, soy sauce and brown sugar and gently stir to combine.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid, transfer to the oven and roast, turning the beef halfway through cooking, for 2½ hours or until very tender. Remove the lid and roast for a further 15 minutes or until the beef starts to caramelise.
- Remove the beef and strain the sauce into a jug++. Return the beef and sauce to the pan and place over medium–high heat. Cook for 5–6 minutes or until the sauce has thickened. Serves 4
+ This recipe is sponsored by Miele.
++ To remove the fat from the sauce, slowly strain it over a sieve filled with ice. This will remove the fat and leave you with a flavourful sauce.
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.