mac and cheese
- 300g dried macaroni or 400g dried casarecce
- 80g unsalted butter, chopped
- ⅓ cup (50g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1.2 litres warm milk
- 170g coarsely grated cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (80g) finely grated parmesan
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 200g sourdough breadcrumbs without crusts
- 60g unsalted butter, melted
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water for 8 minutes or until al dente. Drain and place in a large baking dish. Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in the milk and bring to a rapid simmer. Cook for 5–6 minutes, stirring continuously, or until thickened slightly. Remove from the heat and add the cheddar, parmesan, Dijon, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the pasta and stir to combine.
- To make the sourdough crumb, combine the breadcrumbs and butter.
- Sprinkle the sourdough crumb over the mac and cheese and bake for 20–25 minutes or until golden and crunchy. Serves 4
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.