Best ever: barbecue ideas
Click the images to see recipes and click below for Donna’s top tips for barbecue perfection!
DONNA’S BEST BARBECUE TIPS:
1. Treat your barbecue like it’s one of your best frying pans. Heat it up gently and pour yourself a drink while it warms. That should help you to cook without everything sticking!
2. Ever had trouble with the barbecue flaming up and burning the meat before it cooks through? Instead of oiling the barbecue, use oil sparingly and just brush the meat with oil. This will help sear the meat nicely and stop the barbecue from producing too much flame.
3. Marinades are one of the secrets to a wonderfully tasty barbecue. To get the most flavour, get ahead and marinate meat and seafood the day before - as well as saving time on the day, this will help tenderise the meat.
4. Don’t turn meat over until it’s well-sealed on the first side. To check this, lift the corner of the meat with tongs – if it comes away easily, it’s ready to turn.
5. I love cooking vegetables on the barbecue – there’s nothing better than that lovely smokiness and charring. Cut them into larger pieces so they don’t fall apart.
6. If you’re making kebabs using bamboo skewers, soak the skewers in water for half an hour prior to use. This will stop them from burning during cooking.
7. Barbecued corn is so delicious and easy – it’s always on the menu at my place. I like to pull the husk back off the corn and tie it together, because besides looking beautiful, it’s handy! Run boiling water over the husk to stop it burning, and use the husk to turn the corn as it cooks.