california roll sushi bowl
- 1½ cups (300g) short-grain brown rice
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 1 tablespoon whole-egg mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried wakame+
- 8 small butter lettuce leaves
- 400g cooked picked crab meat
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- salmon roe, to serve (optional)
- finely chopped chives and chilli oil, to serve
- Place the rice and water in a medium saucepan over medium heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until tender and the water has absorbed. Remove from the heat and set aside, covered, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside to cool.
- Place the mayonnaise and vinegar in a small bowl and whisk to combine. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the rice and stir to combine. Place the wakame in a small bowl, cover with water and set aside for 5 minutes to rehydrate. Drain and squeeze out any excess water.
- Divide the rice and lettuce between bowls. Top with the crab, avocado, wakame and salmon roe, if using. Sprinkle with chives and drizzle with chilli oil to serve. Serves 4
+ Wakame is a type of dried seaweed. Find it at Asian grocery stores and in the health food aisle of supermarkets.
Photography: Anson Smart
There are no comments for this entry yet.