caramelised orange crème caramels
- ⅔ cups (150g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ⅓ cup (80ml) water
- 4 slices orange
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk
- ¾ cup (180ml) single (pouring) cream
- 2 tablespoons orange-flavoured liqueur
- 2 eggs, plus 4 egg yolks, extra
- ⅓ cup (75g) caster (superfine) sugar, extra
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 150°C (300°F). Place the sugar, water and orange slices in a saucepan over high heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook for 8–10 minutes or until mixture is dark golden. Carefully remove the orange slices and set aside.
- Pour the caramel into 4 x ¾ cup-capacity (180ml) ovenproof dishes. Set aside for 5 minutes or until the caramel is set. Place the orange slices on top of the set caramel.
- Place the milk, cream and liqueur in a saucepan over medium heat until it just comes to the boil. Remove from heat.
- Place eggs, extra yolks, extra sugar and vanilla in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Gradually add the milk mixture, whisking to combine. Strain the mixture and pour into the dishes.Place the dishes in a water bath+. Bake for 35 minutes or until set. Remove from the dish and refrigerate for 2 hours or until cold. Turn out onto plates to serve. Serves 4.
+ Make a water bath by placing dishes in a baking dish lined with a folded tea towel and pour in enough boiling water to come halfway up the sides of the dishes. A folded tea towel in the base of the baking dish stops the dishes from sliding around and ensures the crème caramel cooks evenly as the dishes don’t touch the baking dish directly.
donna hay team
Hi Roya, Following the steps here, you can adjust the size from individual portions to one large 20cm round cake tin. Bake for 40 minutes or until set. Remove from the dish and refrigerate for 4 hours or until cold. Enjoy!
Can you tell me if I can make this in a large dish rather than individual portions?