- 1 store-bought sponge cake or 1 quantity basic sponge cake, see recipe
- 3 cups (480g) icing (confectioner’s) sugar
- ¾ cup (75g) cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup (80ml) boiling water
- 75g butter, melted
- dessicated coconut, to coat
- Make 1 quantity basic sponge cake in an 18cm-square cake tin and cool on a wire rack. Cut into 6cm squares.
- Sift together the icing sugar and cocoa. Mix with the boiling water and melted butter. Using 2 forks to hold the sponge squares, dip in the chocolate icing and roll in desiccated coconut. Allow to set on a wire rack. Makes 9.
This is my go to “recipe” for lamingtons. I love a good chocolate crust and these taste almost like dark choc lamingtons!