chocolate and cherry cranberry jelly trifle
- 1 packet donna hay fudgy chocolate cake mix+
- 125g unsalted butter, melted
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (350g) store-bought cherry jam
- fresh cherries and extra chocolate shavings, to serve
cherry cranberry jelly
- 750ml cranberry juice
- 1 tablespoon gelatine powder
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3¾ cups (500g) frozen cherries
mascarpone and chocolate cream
- 600ml pure cream
- 1 cup (250g) mascarpone
- ¼ cup (40g) icing sugar, sifted
- 100g dark (70% cocoa) chocolate, extra, shaved using a vegetable peeler
- To make the cherry cranberry jelly, place 1 cup (250ml) of the cranberry juice in a small bowl. Slowly sprinkle with the gelatine and set aside for 5 minutes or until the gelatine is absorbed. Place the remaining juice and the sugar in a large saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Bring to the boil and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat, add the gelatine mixture and gently whisk to combine. Strain the cranberry mixture and pour into a 4-litre-capacity glass dish. Allow to stand for 20 minutes or until cool. Top with the frozen cherries. Refrigerate for 4–5 hours or overnight until set.
- Preheat oven to 160°C (fan-forced).
- Following the packet instructions, place the cake sachet in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre.
- Whisk to combine the butter, milk and eggs. Pour into the centre of the cake mix and stir until smooth. Spoon the cake mixture into a 22cm round cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake for 40 minutes or until the centre of the cake is just set. Allow the cake to stand in the tin for 20 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the mascarpone and chocolate cream, place the cream, mascarpone and icing sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until soft peaks form. Add half the extra chocolate shavings and gently fold through.
- To assemble the trifle, place the chocolate cake on the jelly. Spoon the cherry jam over the chocolate cake and top with the mascarpone and chocolate cream. Sprinkle with the remaining shaved chocolate and serve with fresh cherries. Serves 6-8
+ donna hay fudgy chocolate cake baking mix is available at Woolworths supermarkets and donnahay.com
Photography: Chris Court
There are no comments for this entry yet.