banana, hazelnut and chocolate bread
- 125g butter, softened
- 1 cup (175g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups mashed banana
- ½ cup (70g) toasted hazelnuts, chopped
- 1 cup (90g) chopped dark chocolate
- 1¾ cups (255g) plain (all-purpose) flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of (baking) soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup (115g) golden syrup
- Preheat oven to 160°C (325°F). Place the butter, sugar and vanilla in an electric mixer and beat for 8–10 minutes or until pale and creamy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Gradually add the eggs and beat well to combine. Add the banana, hazelnuts, chocolate, flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and golden syrup and stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into a 26cm x 11cm (2.5 litre-capacity) lightly greased loaf tin lined with baking paper. Bake for 70–75 minutes or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- Cool in the tin for 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Slice to serve. Serves 6–8.
What a delicious combo! The original banana bread is just as great and the recipe works every time!! Such a versatile recipe!
I substitute brown sugar for Rapadura or use a combo of both and only use about 100g, I also substitute golden syrup for maple just to make it slightly healthier!!
I cook mine in a 20cm x 20cm square tin and adjust the time, I find it cooks more even and get better portions!!
Toddler loves it!!
Delicious banana bread, but requires longer cooking or a higher temperature. I cook mine at 180 for 75 mins.
A delicious recipe but needs cooking for 85-90minutes. I took mine out of the oven at around 80 minutes and it was undercooked :( I’d also suggest upping the temp by 5 degrees or so.
Best banana bread! Don’t be put off by the low ratings - I have made this at least five times for different people, and it has always turned out well with people asking for the recipe. This is a take on the classic ‘banana bread’ recipe by Donna which is rated well. Delicious!