nanna's christmas cake
- 3⅓ cups (500g) raisins
- 250g sultanas
- 125g currants
- ¾ cup (125g) candied mixed peel
- 125g slivered almonds
- 125g chopped dates
- ¾ cup (185ml) brandy or sweet sherry
- 250g butter
- 1¼ cups (220g) brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2¼ cups (335g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- ¼ teaspoon bicarbonate of (baking) soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- brandy, extra, for splashing
- Place raisins, sultanas, currants, mixed peel, almonds and dates in a bowl and pour over brandy. Cover and allow to soak for at least 8 hours and up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 140°C (285ºF). Beat the butter and sugar in an electric mixer until light and creamy. Add eggs one at a time and beat well. Combine butter mixture, soaked fruit mixture, flour, bicarbonate, cinnamon and allspice in a large bowl. Spoon into a 20cm-square cake tin double-lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 2 hours. While still hot, splash cake with a capful of brandy. Allow to cool before serving. Serves 8–10.
There are no comments for this entry yet.