lettuce and mint salad
- 1 cup (250ml) white wine vinegar
- ½ cup (110g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
- 1 clove garlic, bruised
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds
- 6 sprigs chervil, plus 1 cup chervil leaves, extra
- 400g baby cucumbers (cukes), quartered
- 1 iceberg lettuce, cut onto wedges
- 2 cups mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Place the vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic and mustard seeds in a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a simmer, stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add the chervil and remove from the heat. Place the cucumber in a large bowl and pour over the vinegar mixture. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Drain the cucumber, reserving ¼ cup (60ml) of the pickling liquid. Place the iceberg lettuce on a large platter. Top with the pickled cucumber, mint and extra chervil. Drizzle with reserved pickling liquid and the oil to serve. Serves 8–10
Photography: Ben Dearnley
There are no comments for this entry yet.