tamarind and chilli braised brisket and eggplants
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1kg beef brisket, cut into 5cm-wide pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 long red chillies, halved
- 2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- ½ cup (150g) tamarind puree+
- ¼ cup (60ml) soy sauce
- ½ cup (90g) brown sugar
- 1½ cups (375ml) water
- 8 Japanese (finger) eggplants (aubergines), halved lengthways
- micro (baby) coriander (cilantro), to serve
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F). Heat oil in a large, heavy-based flameproof, ovenproof saucepan over high heat. Add the beef, in batches, and cook for 8–10 minutes, turning halfway, until browned all over. Remove beef from the pan and set aside.
- Add the garlic, chilli and ginger to the pan and cook for 1 minute or until golden. Add the tamarind, soy sauce, sugar and water and stir to combine. Add the beef, cover and cook in the oven for 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 40 minutes or until the sauce has thickened and beef is tender.
- Add the eggplant and toss gently to coat. Return to the oven and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes or until eggplant is tender. Top with coriander to serve. Serves 4.
+ Tamarind puree is available in the Asian section of the supermarket.
There are no comments for this entry yet.