crispy whitebait with shaved fennel
- 400g whitebait
- 1 cup (200g) rice flour
- vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- sea salt flakes
- 3 medium fennel bulbs, thinly sliced
- 3 medium white onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup dill sprigs
- ½ cup (150g) whole-egg mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ouzo+
- To make the ouzo mayonnaise, place the mayonnaise and ouzo in a small bowl and mix until well combined. Set aside.
- Pat the whitebait dry and toss in the rice flour. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Cook the whitebait, in batches, for 2–3 minutes or until golden. Drain on absorbent paper and sprinkle with salt.
- Place fennel, onion, dill and ouzo mayonnaise in a medium bowl and toss to combine. Divide between plates and top with the whitebait to serve. Serves 4–6.
+ Ouzo is an aniseed-flavoured liqueur. You could omit the ouzo and use lemon juice instead.
There are no comments for this entry yet.